The Scooter Store Scam

Jan 28, 2011
review #218706

My disabled husband received the TSS 450 model chair.This chair was designed by The Scooter Store for reimbursement primarily in Medicare/Medicaid Patients.

It will not even fit through either entrance to the home. It's way to wide and unsafe and the controls are to sensitive and dangerous. Not only that but the base of the chair comes with The Scooter Store name and 1-800 phone number on it. Forces unhappy disabled customers to advertise Scooter Store mobility device product for FREE!

Terrible experience from beginning to end. Even their, "Office of the President", staff won't make good on their TV promises regarding customer satisfication.

We've complained online, Medicaid and Department of Justice.Suggest other's do the same, since they have defrauded Medicaid/Medicare program in past, even having to pay back millions of dollars.

9d490fe
Had an experience with Scooter Store?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions

Sep 24, 2013 Roswell, New Mexico

My husband's power chair constantly needs the arm with the controls put back on. The way it is made you cannot get regular tools in the space to fix it. We have to duck tape it (glad there is black duct tape). I have called the Scooter store on 08/22/13 and they put in a repair request after it was okayed through my private insurance (do not have part B of Medicare. The repair office called and said they would be down in a couple of weeks, and you guessed it they never came or called. My husband cannot use a walker or cane and can only move around in the house and outside with his power chiar. I am waiting to see if they filed a false claim with my insurance. Now none of the phone numbers I called are no longer in service. I believe there is a special place in *** for people who take advantage of the elderly or disabled.

PAT

Sep 24, 2013

There is a common very cheap tool called an allen wrench (also called hex wrench)that will tighten the arm. It's not uncommon to have to tighten the screw on the control arm as well as some other screws on the chair. Considering all the movement and pressure from getting in and out of the chair, one has to expect to do some minor maintenance, especially on the arms. You might be able look up the size of the wrench in the paperwork you got with the chair or call the Scooter Store and ask them what size allen wrench you need. If you know the size you can buy a single allen wrench for the *** need to tighten or buy a full set. Try looking at a dollar store first, all the dollar stores by me have them. You don't need to spend a lot of money since it will be for occasional use. You can get them at any hardware store (full set) that sells screwdrivers, hammers, etc. If you buy them at an auto supply you will probably spend more but they will have the individual sizes.

Aug 21, 2013

Apparently your husband tried using the chair because you said the controls are too sensitive and dangerous. This being said, how did they get the chair inside of your house for your husband to use if it's too wide to fit through the entrances? Maybe it was a tight fit but they did manage to get it inside. If you are concerned that the chair doesn't go back through the door easily so it can be used outside of the home then this is not a valid excuse. Let me explain why. Medicare "rules" for power chairs are for use INSIDE of the home, not outside so they will not support you on this issue and the Scooter Store knows this :eek This is also why Medicare won't pay for ramps to get in and out or lifts to transport your chair on your vehicle. The controls can be adjusted to make them less sensitive, I had this done when my chair was first delivered. The Scooter Store technician had me test drive it for several minutes, including going through doorways and turning around in the kitchen. You can remove the SS stickers yourself. If they won't peel off easily just rub a thin layer of smooth peanut butter on them and leave it on for at least 24 hours before peeling off the stickers. The oil in the PB should penetrate the sticker and make removal easier. This is what I did to remove mine.

Bobby

Aug 21, 2013 Atlanta, Georgia

I haven't read all of the comments but these idiots that deal in these things are making millions just on the batteries alone. They have the batteries rigged to where they go dead if you don't constantly charge them. Golf courses ,grocery stores and shopping centers have carts and power chairs that simply plug in and charge back up even if they are stone cold dead. A darn forklift will re-charge just by plugging it up to a power source but these idiotic things wont. It's just a scam so they will have to send a tech out and charge Medicare for new batteries which they probably take the like new ones that go dead and just charge them back up and pass them off again anyway. What if your loved one should run out of battery life and be stuck in the yard or in an area they cant get to their meds or oxygen or a phone ? Something to think about.
I can't believe the junk we let people get away with in this screwed up country these days. Its creeps like these that are the reason why people my age wont even have medicare when we get old or sick.

Aug 21, 2013

I totally agree with you about the batteries. I charge my chair every single night like the Scooter Store technician told me to do and it still needs to be replaced every 12-14 months. I've also had to have the gears that drive the wheels replaced and the controls replaced TWICE. Very expensive parts :cry

Still young

Apr 08, 2013

My husband, who cannot even walk, went through the Scooter Store to buy a scooter. We paid for it ourselves. It is now paid in full, however they are sending us invoices saying we still owe. We don't, and I have proof that it is paid for. We cannot get through to them on any of the phone numbers

runnalone

Aug 28, 2013 Manistee, Michigan

good luck I have been fighting them for over a year and they say I owe 2500. even though they charged me 2500 more than brocure they said I signed agreement saying I would pay 50, 00 per month for 59 weeks I never signed this they are frauding everyone

kepuwa

Feb 21, 2013 Tampa, Florida

i agree totally withcomments above. My electric chair from Scooter Store does not fit through interior or exterior doors without tearing up the chair or the walls and doors. Worst chair I have had over the 15 years I have needed one. Also wanted/needed a scooter but wouldnt give me one, just the chair

REDFORD CONSUMER

Jan 23, 2013

Although I had a beef with the Scooter Store (very slow repair based on part unavailability) I remember them measuring all entrances and interior doorways of my house not once but twice so I don't know why it wasn't noticed that the model yur husband needs won't fit. Because these measurements are clearly documented on the initial paperwork you shouldn't be getting the run-a-round you say you are experiencing. Have you called the Scooter Store customer service department? The paperwork you received will prove or dis-prove the fit of his scooter through your doorways.

Sep 09, 2012

A couple more things about the chairs that the Scooter Store sells, or for that matter that any business sells, the chair has to fit the person too. When they deliver the chairs they measure the doorways and halls.

Also, and I don't know how to describe this but there is a way that if you become stranded a passerby or if you can call sombody you know that can manually push the chair for you.

Aug 25, 2012

What was the reason you got stranded? Did your battery go dead? If that is the case, you have make sure they are completely charged before leaving home. I do know of cases where a somebody in a chair will go into a fast food place to eat, and ask if there is a place where they can plug the chair in to charge it, because the battery is almost dead. There usually is a place and the customer is permitted to do it.

Aug 25, 2012

Medicare & Secondary Insurance, I am wondering how if the chair wouldn't fit in your doorways, how was it delivered? Also when medicare pays for something like that, using it inside the home is what they specify. They don't intend it for running errands, etc.

Aug 25, 2012

Scooter Store representatives don't come ahead of time to evaluate your home, when they come to deliver the chair they measure your doorways,halls, etc. The person also is supposed to have the receiver practice running the chair to make sure they can get around with the chair.

When medicare pays for the chair they are intended for indoor use and the delivery person emphasises that too.

PATPHOTO1

Aug 14, 2012

My complaint isn't about the product but the number of emails I receive from them. I have two email addresses and a few months ago, they promised to remove my name from their list. Sure they will. Today I received two more emails. This is harrassment! Maybe if we ban together an boycott them, they will get the message. Well one can hope.

michael gills

Aug 01, 2012

scooter store is a rip off.........one of their employees used his authority to retaliate against my wife by refusing to deliver her chair on on about 7/28/12 because of this employee not delivering on the above date NOW a new evaluation has to be done.........a rip off................ :cry

james

Jun 04, 2012

the scooter store lies. they told me that parts would be available overseas but when the cover on my headrest split they inform me they don't ship overseas.

Jan 13, 2013 San Antonio, Texas

The Scooter Store is a dealer. They do not manufacture the chairs. They buy parts from the manufacturer, which is a global company. The Scooter Store only operates in the United States. Your point?

stranded

Mar 09, 2012

Scooter store was great with purchase via Medicare. I had no secondary insurance and they waived the balance. I have never paid a cent for repairs and there have been many over the past 4 years.

BUT... and this is a big but - they do not offer emergency repair nor will they tell you what to do if stranded. I was stranded last week and called 9 cab companies and paratransit. paratransitwill not give same day service in my area. only one cab company helped me and that was by calling in her van driver who had the day off.

My advice for anyone is to have a plan before you get stuck. make an arrangement with several cab companies or tow companies in case. make sure you speak to management and arrange ahead of time what to do if you get an uncooperative dispatcher, as I did.

Sure, it's against ADA not to have a wheelchair van available at all times, but when you're stuck out in a parking lot and it's getting dark and cold, you're not thinking about calling a lawyer. Be safe!!

Medicare & Secondary Insurance

Dec 19, 2011

My first electric chair from a different source died after 10 years. I contacted the Scooter Store and told them what I needed. After the paperwork through my doctor they came to my house with a new chair, never doing an evaluation of my house and needs. They delivered a TSS450 chair at an advertised price of $3999.00. The chair dosn't work in my house as it's too big, won't fit through doors. Then I received a bill for $1,289.00! And that is after Medicare paid them $5,155.96! Instead of charging the $3999.00 advertised and listed on their web page and catalog they charged Medicare $7545.00 for the chair, $505.90 for the batteries which are listed in the catalog and web page as included and $390.00 for elevated leg rests I needed. This came to a total of $8440.90!! This left me a balance of $1289.00! The "order form" left with by the salesman listed the chair bill to my insurance was $4008.20, the amount billed to my insurance for the "free batteries" was $252.18 and they billed the insurance $212.32 for the leg rests! Talk about "fuzzy math", they beat the president and congress. I called customer service and they told me the batteries "do not come with the chair" and if I look over the order form left with me it states "ESTIMATED BENEFITS". Well they may estimate Medicare payments but they do not state they charge $3000.00 + for the chair, batteries and required equipment! I am contacting Medicare, my supplement insurance and my States Attorney General, maybe... Show more

1-20 of 39 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Scooter Store.
Filing a new complaint about
×